“In ten sessions you will feel the difference, in twenty you will see the difference and in thirty you’ll have a whole new body”
Pilates is an active method of balancing and strengthening, focusing on core stabilisation and postural alignment.
What are the Benefits of Pilates?
- Develops every aspect of physical fitness: Strength, Flexibility, Co ordination, Speed, Agility and Endurance
- Heightens Body Awareness
- Enhances Body Control
- Teaches correct Muscular Activation
- Corrects Posture & Alignment
- Facilitates optimal function of the internal organs
- Improves Balance & Proprioception
- Enhances Breathing and it’s Physical & Psychological benefits
- Offers a vehicle for Concentration and Focus
- Promotes Relaxation and the release of tension
- Helps keep Musculature and Bone structure in an optimal state
- Serves as Cross Training for athletic pursuits
- Distributes body mass more aesthetically
- Provides a path to inner harmony through a finely tuned body
Who was Joseph Pilates?
Joseph Pilates was born in Monchegladbach, Germany in 1883. He grew up with a number of childhood ailments and turned to exercise and athletics to overcome his body’s limitations. Inspired by the Greek ideal of a man balanced in mind, body and spirit he began to develop his own exercise method based on this concept.
In 1912, Joseph travelled to England to work as a self-defence instructor for Scotland Yard. During the outbreak of World War I he was interned as an “enemy alien” with other German nationals. It was during this time Pilates refined his unique system with other interns, rigging springs to hospital beds. Enabling even bedridden patients to exercise against resistance.
Joseph returned to Germany after his release and his method became very popular among the dance community.
In 1926, Pilates emigrated to the United States. It was on the voyage he met his future wife Clara Zeuner. Joseph and Clara opened a studio on 8th Avenue which became popular among dancers and New York society.
Joseph was an avid boxer and gymnast throughout his life, maintaining an incredible physique into his later years. He died in 1967 at the age of 84.